High Potency Mash
This is a coarse powder providing complete nutrition for birds that prefer a powder rather than a solid piece. It can also be sprinkled onto fruit, or moistened with fruit juice or water and then shaped as needed.
Available as a 454g bag.
- For birds that are being converted from seeds or any other diet. Birds should initially be fed High Potency Formula for a period of at least 6 months. See Dr Harrison explain the benefits of High Potency diets for birds who are converting here
- As a year round formula for canaries, doves, budgies (parakeets), cockatiels, lovebirds, finches and other medium to small parrots.
- For birds that have special needs such as birds that are molting, overweight, underweight, particularly active, housed in a cold climate, recovering from an illness or affected by liver or kidney disease.
- For birds are weaning. Birds should be fed High Potency Formula for at least 6-9 months.
- For birds that are breeding. Birds should be fed High Potency Formula 1-2 months prior to the breeding period and until chicks are weaned or for at least six months before resuming Adult Lifetime Formula. The amount of supplemental high quality vegetables and fruits may be increased until the chicks are weaned. For each 2 Tbs (20 g) Formula, add ½ (5 g) Tbs high quality (certified organic would be best) sunflower seeds.
- Feed fresh food daily, do not 'top up'
- To help reduce waste, feed as distinct meals
- Birds may eat all they want, but use the table below as a guideline
SUGGESTED DAILY AMOUNTS:
|Species||High Potency Mash||Additional foods|
|Canary / Finch||1 - 13/4g (1 tsp)||1/2 tsp|
|Budgie (parakeet) / Parrotlet||11/2 - 3g (1 - 2 tsp)||1/2 - 1 tsp|
|Cockatiel / Lovebird||2 - 5g (11/2 - 3 tsp)||1/2 - 1 tsp|
|Dove / Pigeon||5 - 15g (1/2 - 11/2 Tbs)||1 - 2 tsp|
Feeding of additional items
It is not recommended to supplement with vitamins or other bird or animal food products. The feeding of additional foods should be limited to no more than 30% of the overall diet. Offer good quality vegetables and fruits in small quantities; dark yellow meaty or dark green leafy items such as sweet potatoes, carrots, pumpkin, winter squash, broccoli, parsley, spinach, mango or papaya are the most beneficial.
[For birds with suspected iron-storage disease: Avoid citrus fruits, tomatoes, kiwi, strawberries and other foods containing vitamin C. Avoid grapes, currants, raisins, liver, red meat, egg yolk or dark green vegetables such as spinach, which may contain high levels of iron.]
Composition: *Sunflower Kernels, *Hull-less Barley, Rolled; *Toasted Soybeans, *Hulled Grey Millet, *Lentils, Rolled; *Peas, Rolled; *Peanut Kernels, *Brown Rice, Rolled; *Corn, Rolled; Toasted Oat Groats *Chia, *Sesame Seed, *Alfalfa, Monocalcium Phosphate, *Algae Meal, Calcium Carbonate, Bentonite, *Sea Kelp, Salt, *Sunflower Oil, *Anise Seed.
* = CERTIFIED ORGANIC INGREDIENT
Nutritional additives per kg: Vitamins: Vit A 4409 IU, Vit B1 2677 IU, Vit B2 2380 IU, Vit E 437 IU, Vit D3 276 IU, Vit B12 40mcg. Trace elements: Zinc Sulphate 13.3mg, Manganese Sulphate 4.4mg, Copper Sulphate 2.7mg.